Thursday, 2nd February, 2012
Another Landmark barrier broken
Newstalk achieves 5% market share*
32,000 listeners more per day for Newstalk 106-108 fm **
According to the JNLR results released today, 2nd February 2012, Newstalk is now reaching 305,000*** listeners daily, an increase of 32,000 in the corresponding period last year. Newstalk has achieved a market share of 5% up from 4.2% year on year. These are landmark barriers for Newstalk to break.
Other significant highlights from these results include:
– Breakfast with Ivan Yates and Chris Donoghue continues to grow now reaching an audience of 133,000 listeners daily. It is the fastest growing breakfast show on national radio in the country. The show has grown by 62,000**** listeners albeit with increased minutage.
– The Right Hook with George Hook continues to grow with 129,000 people listening daily, an increase of 14,000 listeners in the last year.
– Moncrieff with Sean Moncrieff has grown to reach 93,000 listeners daily, an increase of 15,000***** in the year
-Off the Ball, the No.1 sports show on radio reached 50,000 an increase of 15,000 listeners YOY. It remains the Number 1 programme at this time on national radio.
Newstalk has won an additional
– 59,000 weekly listeners **
– 17,000 ABC1 listeners daily**
– 21,000 females **
Speaking today, Frank Cronin, Chief Executive of Newstalk 106-108 fm, said: “Newstalk is delighted to grow its audience by 32,000 daily and break the 5% share barrier. Newstalk has grown its 25-45 audience, now representing 78% of the corresponding audience of RTE Radio 1***. This is significant as this demographic is the key national spending audience.
The passion and integrity we bring to our brand of talk radio is resonating with Irish people. Radio listeners are turning to Newstalk for its challenging and intelligent coverage of Irish life today’’.
Data Sources – JNLR/Ipsos MRBI2011-4
* M/share 7am-Midnight
** L/Yest July-Dec 2011 V July-Dec2010
*** L/Yest July – Dec 2011
**** Time change, show duration increased by one hour in Sept 2010
***** Time change, show increased in duration by 30 minutes in Sept 2010
For further information, please contact:
Neal Cummins, Fleishman-Hillard, 01-6188482 / 087 629 1091
Source: JNLR/Ipsos MRBI 2011-3 Oct ‘10 – Sept ‘11 V Oct ‘09 – Sept ’10 (year on year)