Communicorp stations celebrate strong growth with combined reach of over 1,8 Million weekly listeners
30th April, 2015: Communicorp is today celebrating a strong performance across its portfolio of stations, with over 1,8 million weekly listeners and a combined reach of 30%. The group’s two national stations, Today FM and Newstalk106-108fm have increased their reach significantly while its Dublin stations 98FM, Spin 1038 and TXFM have also seen considerable growth.
Highlights from the latest JNLR results for the individual stations include:
• Today FM has increased its reach significantly with 479,000 daily listeners and 920,000 weekly listeners with a market share of 8.6%. Since this last report there has been significant increases. The big daily winner was the Ian Dempsey Breakfast Show which rose by 7,000 listeners to 194,000. Other strong daily performers have been the new Dermot & Dave Show (121,000 – an increase of 5,000. Teresanne O’Reilly in the Early Breakfast slot (21,000 – up 5,000 and Louise Duffy who has become a firm favourite in the afternoon slot formerly occupied by the late, great Tony Fenton (98,000 – up 2,000)
• Newstalk breaks 400,000 daily listeners for the first time reaching a record 404,000 listeners daily and 711,000 listeners weekly. The station has increased its market share to 6.6%, from 5.6% last year and has seen increased listenership across the country with strong growth in Leinster, Connacht and Ulster and continued growth in Dublin. The growth can be seen across the station with Breakfast and The Right Hook performing extremely well during the week and Off The Ball proving a huge success, particularly at the weekends. After 19 months on Newstalk, The Pat Kenny Show is on track to reach its target of 150,000 listeners after two years.
• SPIN 1038 have performed strongly with 246,000 weekly listeners and market share now at 7.2%, up from 7% adding 45,000 listeners in the last year. The station is now No.1 for 15-34’s Listened Yesterday in Dublin, leap-frogging FM104 for the top spot. This is the first time in its 13 year history that the station has achieved this significant milestone which is largely driven by growth in 25-34’s audience of 40% year on year.
• 98FM has been consistently closing the gap over the last 12 months, with the latest book recording growth in all primetime shows, and particularly, the Ray Foley Show which is now being listened to by 45,000 people daily. The daily phone-in show Dublin Talks, which was taken on by Adrian Kennedy and Jeremy Dixon last March, gets 34,000 Dubliners talking every day. The great content generated on-air across the entire week and weekend is now attracting 218,000 listeners per week and market share is 6.7%, up from 6.4%.
• TXFM’s weekly audience has grown from 39,000 to 45,000 and the daily reach has grown by almost 50% to 22,000. TXFM now has 15% more listeners per day than its predecessor Phantom 105.2 had when it closed, and almost 50% more per week.
Commenting on the performance of Communicorp’s stations Gervaise Slowey, CEO of Communicorp Group said: “We are delighted to announce strong growth across the board for Communicorp stations. In addition, these great results allow Communicorp One and Media Central to deliver on their promise of scale and simplicity to our clients as we continue to help them reach their target consumers in new and innovative ways.”
Data Sources – JNLR/Ipsos MRBI2015-1
April 2014 – March 2015 v April 2013 – March
For further information, please contact:
Maria Doyle /T: 087 9907831 / E: email@example.com